big stretch – big breath – big feelings
“We where schooled for the factories and fields, not for the wisdom and the trust in ourselves that we need and that yoga can provide” Mark Whitwell
Big feelings, we all have them, even the little ones in our lives. Big Feelings is all about equipping kids with the tools for the little and not so little bumps in life. This course is open to anyone who wants to make a big difference in kids lives – teachers, yoga teachers and carers.
Anxiety in kids reported to be on the rise many people are looking to the ancient practices such as yoga for answers. The breath, stretching and song have been clinically proven to decrease anxiety and increase children’s ability to focus at school and cope with stress.
This training will not only give you the tools to teach a fun kids yoga class but will open up the methodology developed by Jess Olivieri over the past 15 years of teaching and caring for kids to help them be happy and healthy now and into the future.
- Big Stretches - teaching asana to different age groups from kindy to teens. Learn age appropriate games, ticks of the trade and safe alignment including how to develop strong joints for growing bodies, a strong and flexible spine for a healthy back and yoga for kids digestion. (6 hours)
- Little Bodies Big Feelings – teaching kids helpful techniques of coping with emotions through the practice of yoga with a focus on the breath (2 hours)
- Big Stories – how to teach yogic philosophy to kids and how it helps them to learn about socialisation as well as use their imaginative thinking (2 hours)
- Little Voices - chanting for kids to help with relaxation and anxiety (2 hours)
- Big Sigh – relaxation and meditation for kids for different ages from kindy to teens (3 hours)
- Putting it all together – learn how to create your own class plan (2 hours)
- Teaching practice – gain experience teaching your fellow teachers so that you have the confidence to go and teach those special little ones in your life! (3 hours)
Total course hours = 20 hours over two weekends
What you will receive
- Big Feelings Guided Meditations for Kids – kindy to teen, (transcript and recording)
- Big Feelings Yoga Asana Cards
- Big Feelings Chanting for Kids Book
- List of helpful resources – favourite books and songs!
- Certificate of completion
- Early bird: $685 (paid in full by September 1st, 2016)*
- Full Price: $785*
*$300 non refundable deposit required to reserve your place
- 22nd and 23rd Oct – 10:30am - 5:30pm (one hour break)
- 29th and 30th Oct – 5:30pm (one hour break)
People are always surprised when I tell them I have been doing yoga since I was 6, they usually ask if I was born on a hippy commune or if my parents were yogis. Neither was the case, I had a very regular suburban up bringing as the eldest of a family of seven (Brady Bunch style) and just happened to have a yoga school at the bottom of my street. I was just lucky. I didn’t realise how lucky until I became sick as a teenager with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Yoga became my solace and got me though what I still consider to be the hardest years of my life. I am so grateful that yoga was close to hard in my tool box of coping mechanisms. I want all children to be as luck as I was.
I am a qualified teacher in Hatha, vinyasa, restorative, Yin, Jivamukti and kids yoga, I have studied with a wide number of Australian and international teachers including Donna Farhi (yoga therapy), Mother Maya (Ayurveda and pranayama), Sharron Gannon and David Life (Jivamukti yoga) Sarah Powers (Yin yoga and meditation) to name just a few of the inspiring teachers I have met along the way.
I am also an internationally acclaimed artists and brings this vibrancy to my classes, which are fun and inclusive with a focus on gathering tools for a happy life.
For more info on Jess please visit her website http://www.bigfeelingsyoga.com/
22, 23, 29, 30 October
10:30 - 5:30pm (includes lunchbreak)